Sunday, September 7, 2014

Where we come from... - Simon Ott


This is one of the last photographs of my Great-grandfather in his cabin in the woods.  Originally from Pennsylvania, he moved to Eastern Oregon after one of his sons died and left a large acreage to his family.  He, along with my grandfather (who was about 10 at the time) and his brother, proceeded to log the acreage which was essentially a small mountain.  The lumber mill ran off the wheel of the Model A they had driven accross the country to get there.  Eventually they moved to the western portion of Oregon and founded a general store which had the first post office in the area.  My grandfather and his brother hired out to thresh all the local farmers fields on the only power thresher in the county which they owned.  Eventually my great-grandfather found his place of peace in his later years and lived in this cabin surrounded by the beauty of nature.  Though I never visited this cabin, I feel and appreciate the sense of peace that I'm sure drew him to such a place and will always feel the call within myself to find my own cabin in the woods someday.

1 comment: