Monday, September 1, 2014

#2 Casa Barragán, Luis Barragán - by Blenda Araujo




My history with this house started in my first year in college. It was my first project of a house, and the house that I am going to talk about it was one of my sources of inspiration.

The Casa Barragán was built in Daniel Garza, a colony in Mexico City by the year of 1948. The house is located in a popular neighborhood that despite the pressures of urban development struggle today to preserve some of its unique character. My favorite thing about this house is the "surprise element". 

View of the facade
The facade of the house is very simple (a large concrete block), and blends with the urban landscape. But inside the house all seriousness the main facade is left behind. The architect explored the zenith lighting along with use of various colors, arousing emotions and senses of who visits the site. He also worked with balance of the sky, vegetation and water.


This house is until now, my favorite house in the world!! Unfortunately, I haven’t had the opportunity to visit this work, but I hope one day go there. For me this house is an example of creativity and identity that an architect can achieve.

Interior of the house

No comments:

Post a Comment