Sunday, September 14, 2014

#4 Sesc Pompéia, São Paulo – Lina Bo Bardi by Blenda Araujo


I was in my second year of architecture when I visited São Paulo for the first time, and among many places that I visited with my class, the SESC Pompeia was undoubtedly what caught my attention. Built in 1982, the SESC Pompeia is an architectural complex that combines a building of red brick (in the style of British factories) and three unconventional huge concrete towers connected by aerial walkways. 


Views of SESC Pompéia. Detail on the walkways.
The Center was designed to promote interaction as an infallible formula for cultural production. Giving incentives to enjoy recreational sport.
The project has a comprehensive and inclusive program and spatial solutions that provide accessibility (bringing the street and public life in the center), attracting interest from all age groups and social classes, without discrimination. 
Exterior and interior views.
The Centre is like an oasis amidst the barbaric urban discomfort of São Paulo. It is worth knowing! Since my first time in São Paulo every time that I go there I have to go to Sesc Pompeia for the music shows, circuses, festas juninas, multi-ethnic festivals, memorable exhibitions – or even just meeting up with someone and doing very little, sitting on the public sofas beside the water or the fire. It is a great place to spend a day and escape the chaos of the big city.


The wooden decking area. ‘São Paulo beach’ in summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment