Monday, December 1, 2014

(1) My Most Recent House - James Duke

My first post is about the most meaningful place I’ve lived, which is my home in Fort Worth. Stylistically, it’s very much a part of the generic American Suburbia style, but it taught me a lot about good design in its successes and failures.

The large bay window facing the street did a lot to tie my family to the life of the neighborhood – a lot of important life events took place in front of it and windows like it on our street, which brought everyone together in a way that I don’t see here in Norman very often. Despite all of that, in the summer it made the room unbearable due to the intense heat it let in, due to being 30 years old and single-paned.

The large vaulted space just inside was probably nice in concept, but the combination of a poor foundation and a hardwood column supporting half of the ridge beam has caused a lot of maintenance issues over the years, and many of the features such as the wet bar are fairly useless to the modern suburban family.


No comments:

Post a Comment