Monday, December 1, 2014

(4) House on Cedar Hill - James Duke


Cedar Hill, Tx has a lot of interesting private residences, and House on Cedar Hill by Cunningham Architects is no exception. As is going to become apparent as you go through these posts, I really enjoy seeing modern forms rendered in unusual and local materials. 

It’s a very large building, which kind of trails along a natural stone wall along the edge of an escarpment. The views are amazing and include thousands of acres of protected land, and the house takes advantage of this with a tower that rises up over the treeline, which I found entertaining.

I think honestly that my favorite aspect of the house is that it doesn’t try to outdo its surroundings, as I see many homes on large plots of land do, but rather integrates with it rather gracefully. It’s refreshing and interesting take on the Texas McMansion, and one I can actually approve of. 


No comments:

Post a Comment