Monday, December 1, 2014

(2) My Current Home - James Duke


My current home is a rental unit in a somewhat upscale development, at least at first glance. The Post Oak Apartments are in fact very nice, if not quite worth the money you pay for them. Units are poorly designed but the materials are mostly good quality. It’s very much a case of masking ugly design elements with nice textures.

Structurally the apartments are sound – acoustic design was obviously not even considered, but the buildings are sturdy. I feel like architects were probably consulted as an afterthought, since the buildings are good enough but not great.

It has been a useful lesson that I apply to my own residential design that just because a space is functional and looks nice, doesn’t necessarily mean it is designed well (note how the laundry room is inaccessible if someone needs to use the kitchen, or vice versa).



No comments:

Post a Comment