Sunday, August 24, 2014

The first step on the road to becoming a Craftsman - Simon Ott


This house is probably the most influential house in my life.  Newly married and living in Norman after being stationed at Tinker AFB, we found Shawnee on one of our Sunday drives exploring Oklahoma.  We loved the variety of archectecture we saw in Shawnee and decided to settle there.  We found this house in a state of major neglect but it had solid structure and great potential.  It took us 6 years to restore.  Through the restoration process I learned a great deal about how good houses are put together and the elements that make a house last.  The house was an excellent teacher.  Leading to my work as a remodeler while going to college after leaving the Airforce.  I started the Architecture program at OU in 2000 but decided my skills as a contractor would become more necessessary and in higher demand than that of an architect.  The subsequent bursting of the housing bubble and following recession speaks to the wisdom of my decision.  I have always had work and have thoroughly enjoyed the results of my labors and their positive impact on those I have had the priveledge to work for.  I have this house to thank for starting my journey to becoming a craftsman.  


1 comment: