Sunday, October 5, 2014

La Sagrada Familia - Simon Ott

I hadn't heard about La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona Spain until my Architecture for majors class last semester.  I may well have come across a picture or mention of it in passing at sometime during my life but if I had I obviously had no idea what I was seeing.  The church is astounding.  The vision and dream of the architect Antoni Gaudi is a testiment to the desire of mankind to create a true place of worship in which to experience and commune with a higher power.  
I have always enjoyed seeing the old churches and their attempt to "raise the consciousness" of those who visit but the organic nature of La Sagrada Familia takes it to a whole new level.  I have always felt that the natural world around us provides the most sacred of spaces to be within and it seems that Gaudi managed to merge beauty of nature with the constructs of humankind into a shared space for the purpose of communion with the divine.  
I, for one, applaud his vision and hope I can make the trip to see it someday.

1 comment: