Wednesday, October 1, 2014

#5 Cathedral of Brasilia, Oscar Niemeyer - by Blenda Araujo

One of my favorites Oscar Niemeyer works it is this church. I had the opportunity to visit the cathedral and whole complex designed by Niemeyer when I was in my second year of architecture. 

Outside view. Detail on the columns.
Brasilia landscape. Esplanada dos Ministerios.

 The work comes down to hand-painted tiles that cover the walls of the Baptistery of oval and stained glass with different shades of blue, white and brown that bring natural lighting to the place. Also, upon entering into the Cathedral, there stands a marble pillar with pictures of passages of the life of Our Lady.
Inside view. Entrance.

Inside view. Detail on the stained glass.



























I love the only visible structure of the cathedral - -sixteen concrete columns -- because it has this peculiar shape reaching up towards the sky.

1 comment: